Affirmative action involves the steps that were taken by a particular country’s government to make and provide opportunities for minorities. Therefore, this aims to increase ethnic and other types of diversity within the social sphere of the community. The minorities are provided with the benefits from the job sector and educational system.
The concept behind affirmative action is prevalent in most democratic countries. In UK, this is known as positive discrimination. Each country comes with its own guidelines and regulations on making policies to boost the neglected sectors of the community.
The Pros of Affirmative Action
1. Despite the success behind the affirmative action rules, racial discrimination remains in schools, and even in the workplace. If affirmative action was removed, it will be more possible that the inequity against the ethnic minorities would increase again and the cases of tribal prejudice will start to raise their ugly heads.
2. Diversity in the workplace and school will always remain desirable and it should be persuaded by all means since it will not occur by chance.
3. The students from the ethnic minority backgrounds require a helping hand so that they can enjoy the type of privileges that are typically ignored by other races. The policies behind affirmative action encourage all deprived students to enter an advanced educational system.
4. Affirmative action is reasonable payment for centuries of racial slavery and oppression.
5. Affirmative action inside the workplace will be the most effective way of ensuring the candidates from the ethnic minorities are provided with the opportunity to prove themselves as capable enough just like the candidates from other races.
The Cons of Affirmative Action
1. When the affirmative action rule has been executed, removing it will not be easy even if the inequity it required to eliminated is not a concern anymore.
2. Affirmative action is the twisted type of reverse prejudice whereby the ethnic minorities will be given with unequal benefits due to their skin’s color.
3. The adoption of affirmative action rules in higher education institutes lowers the principles anticipated by the students from the minority backgrounds that are applying for entrance.
4. The students who are entering the higher education due to affirmative action guidelines will be less probable to cope with the school’s demands.
5. Success attained due to the policies of affirmative action will not be the same with true success obtained through persistence and hard work.
6. Affirmative action guidelines within a workplace may result to absurd decisions.
7. Questions that are associated with the color of the skin and in ethnic background must be eliminated from the application forms.
How Do You Feel about Affirmative Action?
Affirmative action can be helpful at some instances. However, the truth that it comes with negative consequences cannot be denied. What can you say about this?